Tuesday, July 8, 2014

회식: Eat, Drink, ChitChat, Sing!

Helloooo~
okay,  I decided to post something new related to Korean culture to make my blog being more interesting to read. ^^

Do you know "회식"? (read: Hui-Sik)

Do you like to hang out with your coworkers after work, or do you enjoy gatherings where people drink a lot? A lot of Korean companies still have a strong 회식 culture, and not everybody enjoys going to one these days. In this posting I will explain what 회식 is and what people usually do during a 회식.

MIS Team
For Koreans 회식 is a very important part of working life. Every so often, you should go out with your co-workers and your boss and have some food, drinks and fun to get to know each other or to celebrate important events.

farewell party Mr Jang! T_T he lives in Canada with his wife and his daughter now

pardon my chubby cheeks. I was 45kgs that time! huahaha

I think drinking with your coworkers is one of many ways to improve your relationships with your coworkers and will make or break the ideal working environment.

Since we have our personal plan on Friday night, so usually we have 회식 on Thursday. or sometimes on Wednesday, because in our company Wednesday is Family Day (go home on time for quality time with your family. LOL), so the company will not provide dinner in cafetaria. That's why we choosing Wednesday  for having dinner outside with our beloved team.

After finishing work, we go to korean bar around 6 or 6.30PM.

Korean bar (its called with "HOF") usually require food is ordered with a drink. And we order some amounts of fried chicken, sausage, golbengi and many things. Our team leader walks around to make sure everyone's glass is topped off. Of course, they don't pour drinks until your glass is empty, so it's not uncommon to hear "One Shot!" and be expected to finish half a glass of beer so they can pour you the next one. kekekeke

Some of HOFs have this kind of table. It will keep your beer cold.

500cc beer
If it’s a great night out, then you’ll still be on the third or fourth 차 (Cha) or place for hanging around.

I didnt understand when the first time joining the 회식 and my co-worker asked, "Shall we go to 2 차(i-cha) ?"
And they explained to me that usually my team has 3 cha in every 회식.

These are 3-cha in my team~

1 cha : having dinner. I mean the proper dinner. Sushi, Bibimbab, Bulgogi and many things.




2 cha : HOF time. Fruit time and of course, SOJU AND BEER hahaha.  I was always under the impression that Korean people are more likely to have an iron stomach =))



3 cha : NORAEBANGGG or singing room! yes its karaoke time. one of my favorite. kekeke. Usually we have 2 or 3 hours singing since we have 15 members.



drunken Hao.. as always =.="


Usually it ends around 2AM or 3AM. Luckily my apartment is nearby the office, and also my co-worker lives in the same area with me. So, he always drops me off to my apartment.

Park Ki Bum Daeri-nim! My co-worker and my neighbor

whats the most annoying thing?
WE HAVE TO GO TO OFFICE LIKE USUAL. huhahahhaa. I go to sleep at 3.30AM, and I have to wake up at 7AM +.+ 

I miss 회식 sooo muchie! and I miss my team members as well T_T

my very last 회식 T__T

Have you ever experienced 회식 or dinner with your co-workers? ^^

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Maeri Ann,

      I had been working in Korea until last December 2013 ^^


      xoxo,
      jess

      Delete